Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Chocolate Pound Cake

The best there is. Period.

In a mixing bowl, cream:
3 sticks of butter
3 cups of sugar
Add:
½ cup of cocoa
5 eggs
2 sp. vanilla
Add the following, alternating flour and milk:
3 cups of plain flour mixed with 2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup of milk

DO NOT preheat the oven. Pour batter in a pan, and bake at 300° for 1 ¼-1 ½ hours.
Let cool and ice

Icing
1 stick of butter
1/3 cup of cocoa
1 box powdered sugar
Strong hot coffee

Mix first 3 ingredients and then add coffee until icing reaches spreading consistency.


This is my favorite cake to bake - from my mother-in-law who could cook just about anything.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No mention of what pan to use--since it's a pound cake it could be baked in a 10" tube pan, a Bundt pan, or loaves. Which one is indicated for the amount of baking time given?

lucretia melton said...

Hi Paula, I looked for your chocolate pound cake @ Walmart & finally found it. I was so disappointed! It was so dry, I couldn't believe it! I hope my next purchase will be better. $6.87 was a few dollars to spend but I'll try again. Lucretia Melton from Ada,Oklahoma